This is a revision of the Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) "VA FileMan
V. 22.0 Getting Started Manual." VA FileMan Version 22.0
was released in March 1999. VA FileMan Version 22.2
was released in August 2016.
The VA FileMan User Manual is comprised of two separate HTML
- The "VA FileMan Getting Started Manual" (this manual) describes the
VA FileMan features that are likely to be used by all VistA
- The "VA FileMan Advanced User Manual" describes the VA FileMan
features that are more likely to be used by ADP Application Coordinators
(ADPACs), Information Resource Management (IRM) staff, and other technical
The other manual in the VA FileMan documentation set is the:
- "VA FileMan Programmer Manual" -- It describes VA FileMan's APIs and
other features of use to developers.
Manuals in HTML
Why produce an HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) edition of the VA
- This manual, in HTML format, is useful as online
documentation support as you use VA FileMan. It allows you to instantly jump
(link) to specific topics or references online.
- These manuals are "living" documents that are periodically updated with the most current VA FileMan information (unlike paper
or printed documentation). They are updated based on new versions, patches, or
enhancements to VA FileMan.
- Presenting the manual in an HTML format on a Web server also gives
new opportunities, such as accessing embedded multimedia training material
(e.g., movies) directly in the manual itself.
- Providing manuals in a native online format (HTML) also helps
introduce HTML and Web servers to the VistA
user community as documentation platforms.
Reviewed/Updated: October 2016